Hitting up the beach is a great way to spend a summer day with kids. Everyone can have fun splashing in the water, building in the sand, and playing in the sun! We’ve put together a list of the best beaches in Niagara for families! Enjoy the sun and sand!
Niagara Region Water Quality Testing
Please check this site frequently to learn whether or not its safe to swim. Results are posted between Labour Day and Victoria Day each year.
The Best Beaches in Niagara:
Long Beach Conservation Area – Wainfleet
Spend the day, the weekend or the whole summer at Long Beach Conservation Area on Lake Erie. Long beach is a sandy beach, perfect for families looking to swim, relax, fish, boat, or jet ski. There are plenty of shady areas and it’s not usually very busy.
Map to Long Beach
From the NPCA website:
Beginning Saturday, June 20, Long Beach Conservation Area will open for active day-use recreation. Facilities, amenities, and services that will open include:
- Gates with regular day-admission applied, contactless and credit/debit payment options are encouraged
- Membership pass sales and activations
- Washrooms (limited to one family/household at a time)
- Beach areas
- Fishing pier and onshore fishing
- Picnic areas (Bring your own picnic blankets, tables are not deployed at this time)
- Paddling and non-motorized watercraft use (Bring your own, no rentals)
Lakeside Park Beach – Port Dalhousie
Will be open June 26th, 2020
Lakeside Park Beach is a picturesque place on the south shore of Lake Ontario. Beautiful views of the Port Dalhousie Harbour and lighthouse can be found while walking through the park or along the sandy shoreline. Kids (and adults!) can ride the carousel for 5 cents a turn. There is an amazing new playground as well. There are also public washrooms.Throughout the summer, Lakeside Beach is alive with people soaking in the sun, swimming, and playing frisbee, soccer and volleyball.
Map to Lakeside Park Beach
Sunset Beach – St. Catharines
Will be open June 26th, 2020
This is St. Catharines’ largest beach, offering 1,200 feet of sandy beach area. The parking lot is close to the beach and there are public washrooms. There are picnic tables under trees a little way from the beach. The beach is located just off of the Waterfront Trail where you can also walk, run, and bike. The Welland Canal is also nearby.
Map to Sunset Beach
Bay Beach – Fort Erie
From the Town of Fort Erie website:
Bay Beach (also known as Crystal Beach) is closed to anyone without a Fort Erie resident season pass.
Fort Erie resident season passes for Bay Beach in 2020 are available to Fort Erie residents, Fort Erie taxpayers and Fort Erie short-term rental operators only.
Bay Beach (also known as Crystal Beach)
The following operational changes have been put into place temporarily for Bay Beach:
- Bay Beach (also known as Crystal Beach) is closed to anyone without a Fort Erie resident season pass.
- Resident season passes for Bay Beach are being offered to Fort Erie residents, Fort Erie taxpayers and Fort Erie short-term rental operators with proof of address such as a driver’s license, passport, tax bill or any bill that shows the person’s name and address.
- Resident season pass holders can gain access to Bay Beach starting Friday, June 26, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. (weekdays) and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (weekends and holidays).
- The fee for obtaining a Bay Beach resident season pass has been waived for 2020.
- Resident season passes will be available at select times and locations starting Saturday, June 13.
- Only 2,000 people will be allowed on Bay Beach each day with no exceptions.
- Anyone trying to access Bay Beach without a 2020 resident season pass will not be allowed entrance to the beach. No exceptions.
- Resident season pass holders must show their Bay Beach 2020 season pass to gain access to Bay Beach during business hours.
Crystal Beach is a beautiful expansive beach but is always a pretty busy place. It is a great family beach.
Charles Daley Beach – Jordan
Now open. Maintain physical distancing.
Charles Daley Park offers two beaches in a 22-acre waterfront setting. This park is very well maintained. There is a playground and public washrooms. There is also outdoor concerts in the park during the summer months.
Map to Charles Daley Beach
Nickel Beach – Port Colborne
On Friday, June 26, 2020, Nickel Beach will be reopening, just in time for summer. In an effort to keep the residents and visitors safe, staff has implemented changes to Nickel Beach operations for the 2020 season.
2020 HOURS OF OPERATION
Monday – Thursday – 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Friday – Sunday (and holiday Monday’s) – 9:30 a.m. – 8 p.m.
For more information on rules and regulations, visit here.
This public beach area contains more than 2km of white sands, shady picnic spots, washrooms, swimming, and open areas for recreational activities such as beach volleyball or beach soccer. This beach is great for families, because you can just drive up and park on the beach.
A daily or seasonal access pass is required for all vehicles and occupants entering the beach property. Day passes are $10. Or you can park further away and walk in for free.
Map to Nickel Beach
Looking for more outdoor water fun?
Find canoe, kayak and SUP rentals here.
Find outdoor pool and splash pad opening dates here.